Zulum Approves Fresh Funding For Borno Foreign Scholarship Students

3

By Abdullahi Alhassan

MAIDUGURI — Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, has approved N2.65 billion to meet the 2026 scholarship obligations of 158 indigenes of the state studying in China, Malaysia, India and Egypt.

The governor also disclosed that his administration had committed N12.64 billion to scholarship programmes since 2023, with more than N8.61 billion spent on foreign scholarships.

Zulum made the disclosures on Wednesday at a homecoming ceremony for 294 Borno beneficiaries who recently completed various academic programmes in universities across China, India, Egypt and Malaysia.

He congratulated the returning graduates and described investment in education and human capital as one of the most effective strategies for addressing poverty, insecurity and underdevelopment.

According to the governor, the N12.64 billion expenditure comprised N8.61 billion for foreign scholarships, N3.84 billion for local scholarships and N196.31 million for administrative support.

“It is in pursuit of this vision that, since 2023, this administration has invested a total of N12,644,034,368.96 in scholarships for the sons and daughters of Borno State,” Zulum said.

He explained that the latest N2.65 billion approval would settle outstanding obligations for 158 foreign scholarship beneficiaries based on submissions from the Ministry of Education.

The governor said the funding would also cover 54 beneficiaries under the state’s aviation scholarship programme, which is currently undergoing review.

He further directed the Borno State Scholarship Board to commence applications for 220 academic staff of the University of Maiduguri seeking local and foreign postgraduate scholarships.

Zulum also announced a 100 per cent increase in local scholarship support for Borno indigenes and directed the Commissioner for Education and the Scholarship Board to commence immediate implementation.

The governor reaffirmed that scholarship awards would remain merit-based, noting that many beneficiaries had distinguished themselves academically in their respective institutions.

He said the state would continue to support professionals and students in critical fields, adding that government was also considering sponsorship requests from professionals in the Humanities and Arts.

Zulum further reaffirmed the state’s commitment to sponsoring qualified indigenous law graduates through Nigerian law schools.

He urged the returning graduates to see their scholarships not merely as personal opportunities but as public investments requiring them to contribute meaningfully to the development of Borno.

“Our administration’s 25-Year Development Plan is anchored on building an equitable society in which every citizen, regardless of background or circumstance, has access to quality education and essential services,” he said.

The governor said Borno’s investment in education was aimed at producing a skilled workforce capable of driving the state’s long-term development.

294 Beneficiaries Complete Foreign Programmes

The Commissioner for Education, Science, Technology and Investment, Engr. Lawan Abba Wakilbe, said the foreign scholarship programme had supported 294 Borno indigenes studying medicine, engineering and other science, technology, engineering and mathematics-related disciplines in Asia and North Africa.

He said more than N8 billion had been committed to the foreign scholarship programme since 2023, covering tuition, accommodation, feeding, monthly stipends, airfare, travel documentation and other academic expenses.

Wakilbe disclosed that 171 postgraduate scholars were trained in two universities in India and five universities in Malaysia, at a cost of N3.233 billion.

He said the beneficiaries were expected to contribute their expertise to tertiary institutions and other sectors of the state’s economy after completing their studies.

The commissioner added that 16 of the postgraduate scholars graduated with distinctions and other academic honours.

He also disclosed that 104 undergraduate students were currently studying in six institutions in China, comprising 53 medical students and 51 engineering students.

According to him, the students are expected to strengthen Borno’s professional workforce, particularly in healthcare and infrastructure, including the newly established Kashim Ibrahim Teaching Hospital.

Wakilbe said the state had consistently paid the students’ tuition and monthly stipends in advance since 2023, with stipends ranging from $150 to $200.

Scholarship Scheme Records Attrition

The Executive Secretary of the Borno State Scholarship Board, Dr. Bala Isa, said the foreign scholarship programme initially commenced with 301 beneficiaries.

He explained that the number subsequently reduced to 294 after one beneficiary died, two withdrew on health grounds, one transferred to another programme, while three others voluntarily withdrew.

Isa said the board remained committed to ensuring that beneficiaries received the necessary support to successfully complete their studies and return to contribute to the development of the state.

The governor’s latest approvals, he said, further demonstrated the administration’s commitment to sustaining the scholarship programme and strengthening human capital development in Borno State.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here